Philippe Boutron and Mayeul Barbet racing in the 2020 Dakar Rally. (Reuters)
PARIS — An explosion beneath a help vehicle at the Dakar Rally in Saudi Arabia that wounded French race driver Philippe Boutron on Dec. 30 was caused by an improvised explosive machine, a French supply common with the investigation said on Friday.
Confirming a report by RTL radio, the source told Reuters that investigators experienced located traces of explosives on Boutron’s wrecked vehicle in Saudi Arabia.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has mentioned that there have been suspicions of a terrorist attack, but Saudi Arabia’s international ministry explained on Jan. 8 that an initial investigation into the blast had not lifted any criminal suspicions.
A next explosion at the Dakar rally, under a truck belonging to the workforce of Camelia Liparoti on Dec. 31, is also less than investigation by French law enforcement. French radio RMC claimed the truck’s driver listened to a “growth” in advance of a fireplace broke out.
French anti-terrorism prosecutors opened a preliminary investigation into the explosion in January. French RMC radio documented that a group which includes French DGSI secret provider brokers and an investigating justice of the peace traveled to Saudi Arabia, where by the rally was held, for a number of days. They also questioned witnesses in France upon their return from Saudi Arabia.
French Overseas Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian explained at the time that “there have been hypotheses” that the incident “was a terrorist attack”.
Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry explained on Jan. 8 that an initial investigation into the very first blast had not elevated any legal suspicions. But French authorities said the Saudis had been cooperating with the investigation.
The Dakar Rally was originally a race from Paris to Dakar, Senegal, but it was moved to South The united states for 2009-2019 for the reason that of political unrest in Africa. It was moved yet again, to Saudi Arabia, in 2020.